Monday, January 6, 2014

Between worlds

Hi everyone!

As I quietly resurrect Live Mini in the background I would like to share a rather personal journey with you all. If you are new to Live Mini I think this will be the new starting point. If you do read my blog before, all previous entries will be deleted. All gained miniature knowledge will be reworked in some way so people can refer to it later. Hang with me while I do this.

So a little about myself before I reboot everything:

My name is Betty and I am in between worlds.

What does that mean exactly? It means that I am an immigrant. I was born in Hong Kong. I came to the United States when I was 6. I grew up in San Francisco, CA. It is a good in between place for me because of the Chinese community. For that, I will never be far from San Francisco. San Francisco will always be to me my hometown in my mind, not Hong Kong.

But because I am an immigrant living in between worlds, it has been hard for me to assimilate into American culture nor am I fully in the Chinese culture. It is an age old problem that many immigrants face. How I deal with it is my own life story. I might have grown up here and even married an American myself, but there are many bits of my life that is missing that can never be filled. For example, there are many references of children stories both American and Chinese that I will never know. I get irritated every time my family, both my biological AND my in-laws, would bring up references of things that they think I should know and it would turn up into a blank in my mind.

To answer some of these questions, I went back to my birthplace for a while: Hong Kong at the end of November 2013 to the New Year.

_______________________________________

... and that is the beginning of my story back into the world of miniatures. ;)

It has been 9 years now since I started Live Mini back in 2005. I want 2014 to be filled with interesting memories, artwork, and even a few surprises. To be honest with you, I thought I would never see Live Mini again. In the end, I cannot leave it. It is a part of who I am. I want to start off the New Year telling this story hoping it would inspire you that it is not bad to be in between worlds, and sometimes in between worlds would even help.

Hang in there, Betty.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Welcome back Betty!